At Wilhelm Brothers, when it comes to pest control, our team of lawn care professionals utilizes a responsible integrated pest management (IPM) system.
What is Integrated Pest Management?
IPM is an effective and environmentally friendly approach to pest control. IPM programs use current comprehensive information that our pest control license holder obtains while staying in close contact with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. This gives us the most up-to-date information on the life cycles of local pests and their interaction with your landscape. We use this data and consider the needs of your environment and various pest control methods available to give you affordable services with the least hazard to people, pets, and properties.
How Does Integrated Pest Management Work?
IPM is not about going for a single spray or pest eradicator and hoping for the best. We take a four-step approach to identifying, removing, and managing any landscape pest.
- Set Action Threshold – When you see a single pest, it does not automatically mean you have to take action right away. IPM sets up an action threshold, which is the point where the pest population or environment indicates that certain measures need to be taken. This threshold allows for guiding future pest control decisions.
- Identification and Monitoring – Not all insects are bad for your landscape. Our technicians will monitor and identify the pests accurately and make the appropriate control decisions based on the action threshold. This way, you will not use pesticides when they are not really needed or end up choosing the wrong type.
- Prevention – Our pest control team will see to it that pests do not become a threat to you and your property. You can trust us to suggest control methods that are effective and cost-efficient, with little to no risk to people or the environment.
- Control – Once the previous steps have been taken and the need for pest control has been determined, the least risky methods are chosen first. These include traps and pheromones to disrupt mating. Please note that the broadcast spraying of non-specific pesticides is considered a last resort under IMP.
.The primary goal of IMP is to suppress the problem by minimizing the conditions the pests require to survive. This is accomplished with the following:
- Physical – Traps, barriers, vacuuming, or tillage
- Genetic – Genetically engineered sterile male insect release
- Biological – Using predators, parasites, and diseases to suppress populations
- Chemical – Using biorational chemicals that are less toxic and target a specific aspect of pest biology
We often opt for a combination of techniques to achieve the best outcomes. Pest control requires constant monitoring and adjustment to ensure that the pests are removed for good.
Cost-Effective Pest Solutions For Your Property
It may appear as if using an IMP plan to keep your landscape pest-free is more expensive than the usual methods. While the upfront costs are slightly higher, studies have shown that IMP is more effective in controlling pests in the long term, and continued maintenance is cheaper. Some of the biggest benefits include:
- Safely reducing the number of pests
- Reducing the number of pesticide applications
- Protecting human health
- Being sustainable as the emphasis is on prevention
- Controlling substances that cause allergies and asthma
If you are looking to keep pests under control and save money at the same time, the team at Wilhelm Brothers can provide you with the safest, most up-to-date pest control services all year round. Call us today to learn more about what we can do for you.
Let’s Get Started
Call Today And See How Wilhelm Can Make Your Property Amazing